Media Factory

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolio

-dono
Retired
http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/legal/mediafactory.html

Basically Media Factory Inc. (a Japanese anime studio) has basically said stop fansubbing our works or we get the lawyers. There works include Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (including Akane Maniax), Genshiken (including Kujibiki Unbalance) , School Rumble, Gankutsuou, RahXephon and some others.

It doesn't seem to be a hoax.

Currently WannabeFansubs who are subbing School Rumble are deciding what they are gonna do
sad.gif

http://www.wannabefansubs.net/tenma/index.php?showtopic=48

but they havent made any conclusions according to their forums.
so all we can do now is pray
sleep.gif

EDIT:
from Bantam WF Staff
QUOTE Any legal threats would be laughed at if recieved towards WF site wise, we're not hosting any Fansubs and linking is not illegal, the tracker is hosted off site. I dont see what they could possibly do to stop us fansubbing School Rumble.

this is a good sign, isnt it? so there might still be a chance...
unsure.gif

Looking through the posts, and getting the general feeling of "They can't touch us" I thought of a few things. Why would a Japanese company bother? Ok i may affect international sales possibly but it's normally arued they do more good than harm to the anime industry.

Even then if a Japanese company wanted to stop it they should be doing it from their end. I've heard they tried by using a new encrypting system that was unpopular with the general public (not just anime-lovers).

If i was the company trying to stop it wouldn't you try stopping the raw providers instead? If there is an illegal step to fansubbing it would be getting the raw from Japan right? That falls under bootlegging right?

QUOTE The School Rumble Project Chair, Ohmer, stated in his brief press holding this afternoon that he feels that there is still ample ethical grounds in which WF can continue fansubbing School Rumble. "We have tried our best to help promote School Rumble and create an environment for fans who do not understand Japanese to convene. We have never asked for a dime, but instead just the understanding of the publishers that we mean no harm," he stated. He reinforced the fact that WF's target audience is completely distinct and separate from those of the Japanese firm, and thus does not cause a conflict of interest. MusashiKen, Manager of Quality Control at WF hinted the same idea, "School Rumble is aired for free on Japanese public TV. We are simply reproducing it for an English-speaking audience."

The founder of WannabeFansubs was not available for comment during press time, however, WannabeFansubs.net domain owner and webmaster Bantam claims, "They have no legal grounds whatsoever as far as the website is concerned. The tracker is run by a third party and is not directly affiliated with WannabeFansubs.net." So far no legal claims have been filed concerning torrent links on the website.

Further investigations also reveal that the reason why the Tokyo lawfirm had originally sent AnimeSuki.com and LunarAnime the letters of warning, was because a particular affilliate company was displeased with "Akane Maniax" being available on fansub before DVD. They found no mention of "School Rumble" in particular. WF thus finds this incident to be furthermore, possibly irrelevant to its current operations. Therefore WF will exercise indifference until there is solid evidence that Media Factory has the correct/relevant legal claim, and displays a conclusive will to shutdown WF's School Rumble works.

-WF Associate Press in conjuction with WF Investigative unit
Thursday December 9, 2004.

The above passage(s) was quoted by one of the WannabeFansub staff members.

Good news is that:

QUOTE WannabeFansubs will follow suit and continue to fansub School Rumble as per the usual routine. WF has and will continue to provide through its members' hard work and devotion free fansubs to School Rumble fans until further notice.

So SR will still be fansubbed by WF
happy.gif

true that SR fansubs will still exist but..
does this mean we have to use bittorent to get school rumble from now on?

ah man this is total crap, i mean come on , ya cant really sue someone for posting links
also raxephon was fansubbed a while ago and is already licensed,
finding eps of it on DD is fairly hard, but none the less even if school rumble was licensed tomarrow, trying to find it on dvd outside the usa would be fairly hard,
also isnt fansubbing a good form of promotion for an anime,
i mean would you go into a shop and buy an anie that you knew nothing about, i admit i have twice, although it turned out kinda ok, since thats how i came across berserk, but the other one was sakura wars, which sucked, and also on a side note , both dvds were bootlegs from the states (which i didnt know at the time)
anyways if i went into a shop and saw school rumble on dvd i might buy it as long as the dubbing was decent, which its rarely ever is

This is just crazy. SR and some of the other animes aren't even licensed. If we were living in Japan, then I would understand and watch it on TV or buy the DVD's locally, but WF caters for people from English-speaking backgrounds, and I don't see why distribution should be ceased.
Even though this is quite a big blow, it is also necessary to understand that there are already many rogue groups subbing licensed anime.....

if they take dont fansub school rumble

im gonna be very depressed ...

i dont understand how can they take legal action wen they are not distributing the anime. and how can they pin point the location which the site is hosted and whos keeping it online

so i noticed that ye removed the school rumble eps from fansub, does this mean ye are'nt gonna host the new eps anymore?
how about if ye re-named the eps instead of school rumble called em sumthing else?
just an idea, that is if there checking sites for there animes that they own

So this means no more updates on Genshiken too in the near future? And I only just started with this anime... sheesh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back