Respect Religion...why...?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

ellell

-chan
Kouhai
Why Respect Religion?

Yeah it seems like dumb question at first, but think about it...

I mean we think its quite alright to laugh out heads off at fashion sense, taste in music even important things like political veiws.

So why on Earth do we think religion is so special? Even Atheists are protected by this almost supernatural hold on us that we shouldn't make fun of religious belief.

yeah yeah all the normals no flamming, or disrespecting and a general politeness please.

i think we respect religion because it is something that some people really truly believe in. Some people are willing to die for it. Its something that gives people hope for (like life after death instead of a black screen with white words "Game Over"). It also makes people sometimes act with good morals (no killing. No adultery, no lying and so on)

Religion has been pretty powerful in influencing people....

Why do we respect religion? I don't know the answer to that.. Maybe because it can be pretty powerful. I mean just to see so many people give homage to their god(whatever religion you practice or don't practice) and follow their rules. I mean just to see that happening is something to be in awe about. But their belief is so strong they do it anyway. Because for all we know its just a bunch of lies someone made to make people act better...

they say that to be truly religious you have to be insane because your believing in something that has no actual proof to it.
wink.gif

Let's make a distinction between

-religion as personal beliefs (what someone believes about God, the sense of his life, the after-life, those kinds of things). Why shouldn't we respect it? Every person has the right to make its own choices.

-religion as a public, political power, which try to push its own values even on non-religious people (common themas: abortion, gay marriage...). This side of the religion shouldn't deserve a special respect.
When you are a public organisation, then you'll be judge by the public.

I don't exactly respect religion. I guess, the only way I can put it... if you're religious, that's fine. It's good for some people to believe in. But, when you take it too far, and believe EVERY SINGLE THING of it, and don't try to think for yourself at all... then I hate it.

QUOTE i think we respect religion because it is something that some people really truly believe in. Some people are willing to die for it.

Right, I agree. I wouldn't make fun of someone's fashion sense of music tastes if it was really important to them. Some secular followers of religion don't mind having their religions being made fun of by the way.

QUOTE they say that to be truly religious you have to be insane because your believing in something that has no actual proof to it.

I assure you that there isn't a religion out there with devout followers that is completely absurd. I've been studying religions for some time now and as stupid as it sounds, even the most far out religion will make some sense if you get close enough to it.

Besides, in my opinion, it is so much harder to believe that your existence is coincidental than to believe that you have been created.

QUOTE Let's make a distinction between

-religion as personal beliefs (what someone believes about God, the sense of his life, the after-life, those kinds of things). Why shouldn't we respect it? Every person has the right to make its own choices.

-religion as a public, political power, which try to push its own values even on non-religious people (common themas: abortion, gay marriage...). This side of the religion shouldn't deserve a special respect.
When you are a public organisation, then you'll be judge by the public.

Can that distinction really be made though? I mean, religions aren't only about your personal relationship with a deity, but many have strict social rulings. For example, you can open up any page in Deutronomy and find that X ruling should be applied to Y sin. How can a religion exist if only some portions of it's rulings are carried out?

I don't really have much of an answer to that one. Thoughts?

QUOTE I don't exactly respect religion. I guess, the only way I can put it... if you're religious, that's fine. It's good for some people to believe in. But, when you take it too far, and believe EVERY SINGLE THING of it, and don't try to think for yourself at all... then I hate it.

How can someone be religious without following everything that their religion teaches? Plus, there are tons of intellectuals out that examine their religions and do end up believing in them.

QUOTE (hadji_129 @ Jul 20 2007, 06:36 PM) How can someone be religious without following everything that their religion teaches?
I don't think it's a matter of not following, so much as understanding the social differences. Take Christianity. The books of the old testament have teachings from more than 2000 years ago, a time when the world was a lot different than it is now. While you can still believe in the basic message, you shouldn't take it so literal as to .. force "cruel and unusual" punishments on people you view as sinners.

My history teacher (the son of my minister!) use to say that in the bible, you have the old testament "smite everyone!" aggressive God, and then the new testament, where God was a lot more compassionate and forgiving.

Why should religion be respected? It's an old tradition and is the basis of pretty much every society. Some people also need that reassurance ... like people who have a chronic disease and 'discover God' as they try to cope with their reality. If it helps them, then yes, religion IS a good thing. The afterlife is another big issue with religion, and some people find it comforting to know there is a better place after this world.

It's not for everyone, but religion does serve a purpose in people's lives. When religion is used as a tool to start warfare and discriminate, then it becomes a problem.

Religion gives meaning and purpose to humankind's existence.
rolleyes.gif
Even those who claim to have not religious affiliation seem to have some sort of "religion".
wink.gif
They do believe in something (ie. science or philosophy).
unsure.gif

Religion is important to a person's psyche.
rolleyes.gif
It fills the "void" of uncertainty in our minds. It provides "answers" for people who are confused. It gives us hope that there is something beyond physical existence. It gives us hope that there is "someone" (a higher form of existence) looking out for us. It provides us with a "foundation" or a basis for our lives. It gives us a sense of order in a world filled with chaos. And, the list goes on...
smile.gif

The reasons for our respect of Religion is limitless.
cool.gif
Each of us has his/her own reason/s. In conclusion, humanity "needs" Religion (in one form or another).
rolleyes.gif

I think we respect religion because its something we believe in. Just as emotionallywasted stated. Think about it.... you protect and respect what you believe in... be it... a parent.... or a friend... a animal... or an object... a thought... a plan... a promise... ect. You just respect, believe, and truely honor what you believe in.
happy.gif
Thats what I see. Feel free to comment on what you think.
happy.gif

Personally I don't respect most religions (as almost all religions have done some messed-up things in the name of it); however, I do respect people's rights to believe what they want. There was one friend I had who was overly religious to the point where, knowing that I don't believe nor would I ever consider following her religion, she still tried harassing me about her God from the Bible and so on until I got fed up (everytime I saw her, she was lecturing me on why I should believe in her God) and I ended up shooting her down about her religion, and the hypocrisy of her having the nerve to preach to me. We stopped talking for a bit, but later when we did begin speaking she finally realized what I had told her from the beginning. Religion is not a topic I wish to discuss with her because I knew she would preach to me continuously. So I respected her right to believe in her religion and she respected mine not to be interested. I do crack jokes on religions, even with friends on occasion, but I don't attack the individual and when it is a sore subject I stop. Just have to know your boundaries and the boundaries of those you're dealing with. Everyone has subjects that are taboo, you just have to be aware.

QUOTE (DarkSkyLady @ Jul 21 2007, 01:46 AM) Personally I don't respect most religions (as almost all religions have done some messed-up things in the name of it); however, I do respect people's rights to believe what they want. There was one friend I had who was overly religious to the point where, knowing that I don't believe nor would I ever consider following her religion, she still tried harassing me about her God from the Bible and so on until I got fed up (everytime I saw her, she was lecturing me on why I should believe in her God) and I ended up shooting her down about her religion, and the hypocrisy of her having the nerve to preach to me. We stopped talking for a bit, but later when we did begin speaking she finally realized what I had told her from the beginning. Religion is not a topic I wish to discuss with her because I knew she would preach to me continuously. So I respected her right to believe in her religion and she respected mine not to be interested. I do crack jokes on religions, even with friends on occasion, but I don't attack the individual and when it is a sore subject I stop. Just have to know your boundaries and the boundaries of those you're dealing with. Everyone has subjects that are taboo, you just have to be aware.
I respect religions... However, I am NOT religious... I am spiritual... for those of you who are like me... you know what I mean... for those of you that aren't... PM me if you want to know what I am...

Well.... I honestly, HATE IT when people push their religions on another person... if someone is seriously interested in "being saved" or obtaining a religious belief... they will do their own searching....Its how I became what I am today.

QUOTE My history teacher (the son of my minister!) use to say that in the bible, you have the old testament "smite everyone!" aggressive God, and then the new testament, where God was a lot more compassionate and forgiving.

A Christian would argue that the laws of the Old Testament don't apply to them.

As you've stated earlier, some laws are made for a specific time and place. The Christians didn't decide to just ignore the laws because they saw them as old fashioned, but they stopped doing so because of a new covenant was made.

I would like to state this.... Christianity... is not just one religion but a branch of religions... you can not treat Christianity as though it is but one religion.... please.... everyone... keep that in mind when attempting to make your points....

Some parts of the Christianity believe do agree and obey the laws that of which reside in the Old Testament over that of the New.... So also please keep that in memory.

QUOTE Some parts of the Christianity believe do agree and obey the laws that of which reside in the Old Testament over that of the New.... So also please keep that in memory.

Oh? I wasn't aware of that. Which sects do that?

Can that distinction really be made though? I mean, religions aren't only about your personal relationship with a deity, but many have strict social rulings. For example, you can open up any page in Deutronomy and find that X ruling should be applied to Y sin. How can a religion exist if only some portions of it's rulings are carried out?

I don't really have much of an answer to that one. Thoughts?

I may have been not very clear (English isn't my first language).

If a religious person decides it should do X because it made Y sin in the past, I'm completely fine with that.
If a religious person decides somebody else should do X because it made Y sin the past, it's stupid.

Most religious people I know are in the former category. But there's a vocal minority thorough the world who are definitely in the latter.

I have a friend that was just like that. He used to be catholic but than decided to join and become a Christian. When he was Catholic he was alright with gays and abortions and everything but when he became a Christian he did a 180 and was against gays and abortions.

Catholics ARE Christians.
wink.gif

QUOTE (DarkSkyLady @ Jul 21 2007, 12:46 AM) Personally I don't respect most religions (as almost all religions have done some messed-up things in the name of it); however, I do respect people's rights to believe what they want. There was one friend I had who was overly religious to the point where, knowing that I don't believe nor would I ever consider following her religion, she still tried harassing me about her God from the Bible and so on until I got fed up (everytime I saw her, she was lecturing me on why I should believe in her God) and I ended up shooting her down about her religion, and the hypocrisy of her having the nerve to preach to me. We stopped talking for a bit, but later when we did begin speaking she finally realized what I had told her from the beginning. Religion is not a topic I wish to discuss with her because I knew she would preach to me continuously. So I respected her right to believe in her religion and she respected mine not to be interested. I do crack jokes on religions, even with friends on occasion, but I don't attack the individual and when it is a sore subject I stop. Just have to know your boundaries and the boundaries of those you're dealing with. Everyone has subjects that are taboo, you just have to be aware.
I have a friend that was just like that. He used to be catholic but than decided to join and become a Christian. When he was Catholic he was alright with gays and abortions and everything but when he became a Christian( I think it was born again but not sure? Maybe Protestant...) he did a 180 and was against gays and abortions. I was kind of shocked to see this happen because we would agree on those subjects but when he did the 180 we got into a few arguments. It almost seemed like he had been brainwashed....it was kind of scary.
unsure.gif
I don't mind people who are religious. My family has never been too religious, we never go to church (mom and dad both went to Catholic school and did not have the fondest of memories there.) but we believe in god. But I don't really like when another person will push their beliefs on me or look down on me just because I think the way I do when it comes to religion.
dry.gif

Ever see the movie Dogma? My beliefs are kind of similar to the one in which Chris Rock talked about.
wink.gif

Ok. I asked my mom and a few other people who are catholic (sounds lame..
dry.gif
.) and they said Catholics aren't Christian....

i looked up this because of differing answers so maybe this may explain it?Are Roman Catholics Christian?

anyone care to shade their thoughts on this?

I had a friend who was very Catholic and I was curious as to what his reaction would be with the movie Dogma so I made him watch it with me. He liked it at first, but soon became offended in the name of Catholicism. It was funny and not very surprising.
biggrin.gif

haha yeah my step mother didn't like it very much either ( she is probably the most religious person out of my family.) She positively hates South Park as well.
laugh.gif

QUOTE (emotionallywasted @ Jul 21 2007, 01:22 AM)Ok. I asked my mom and a few other people who are catholic (sounds lame.. .) and they said Catholics aren't Christian....

i looked up this because of differing answers so maybe this may explain it?Are Roman Catholics Christian?

anyone care to shade their thoughts on this?
Roman Catholics are Christians.
blink.gif
They are the first and original Christians.
rolleyes.gif
During the long history of Christianity, there were "schisms" so other Christian sects emerged (ie. Orthodox and Protestant).
dry.gif

I find it a bit annoying when certain "Christian groups" claim the term "Christian" all for themselves.
dry.gif
There are a lot of Christian sects. Are they not Christian?!!
blink.gif
I think people have been made to believe that the term "Christian" refers only to those "Christian groups".
ohmy.gif

QUOTE (emotionallywasted @ Jul 21 2007, 04:12 AM) haha yeah my step mother didn't like it very much either ( she is probably the most religious person out of my family.) She positively hates South Park as well.
laugh.gif

My mom is the same way. She is the most religious... She didn't like Carlos Mencia for awhile... then she finally gave in and admitted. HAHAHA!

QUOTE (emotionallywasted @ Jul 21 2007, 01:22 AM) Ok. I asked my mom and a few other people who are catholic (sounds lame..
dry.gif
.) and they said Catholics aren't Christian....

The world "Christian" may have a different, narrower meaning in your country than in the rest of the world.
I can't argue with that.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back