Saddam Hussein is executed!!!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Did you think he deserved to be executed?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not Sure

• Total voters

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
Well, today at 10:00pm, 2.5hrs ago, Saddam Hussein was executed. I really didn't pay too much attention on the matter. But I feel that his execution is the start of another war. Wont this stir up more trouble in the middle east now? I really don't believe in execution either. Even though he has done terrible things, It is not right to take another life, 2 wrongs don't make a right. I think this is the start to something more dreadful, his exectuion likely wont solve anything, it was pointless. What do you think about his death?

Also, please note, this thread is not about whether execution s right or wrong, a thread about that already exists.

I voted yes not because I favor executions , but because as long as he is alive, US will have a hard time pulling out of Iraq. Now that he is dead, his regime has ended and the country has a better chance of finding some kind of peace. As long as Saddam lived, he has some control over the people of Iraq and now that he is dead, maybe the new government can fill void stabalize the country.....of course the other side is that his death can intensify the fighting...
ph34r.gif

In the Middle East: Democracy quite often never is a good ideal propaganda. Either you have Monarchy or Government based on your religion, for this case: a government on the bases of the Shari'ah Law. Giving an execution to a man that may have done a few things wrong, but execution is not what he should get for his end of life. I mean if Hitler was caught by the US, they wouldn't execute him, but just Life in prison (permanently). (We all know Hitler was a very smart man that intended to take over the world.) Where as S.H's case to me is or has some racial means to why he gets execution. He definitely doesn't deserve this, esp. on Eid-ul-Fitr, which is a disgrace for Muslims to get executed by the enemy on this day or joy/rejoice and happiness. To me in one way if he does get executed on this day it would be a blessing for him.

As I say again Democracy will never work in the Middle East.

Note: He isn't executed yet, he will be at/before 6:00 am EST.

I beg your pardon, did you say he has made a few mistakes? Wow, I didn't know slaughtering millions of people was nothing more than a mere mistake. Do not bring Hitler's case, if he was captured, he too would have been exectured like the other Nazi officers. Mind you, they were all executed with no exceptions (all the higher ranking officers).

I voted no, he deserved much worse than just this.

QUOTE (noob @ Dec 30 2006, 12:37 AM) I didn't know slaughtering millions of people was nothing more than a mere mistake.
Now that's an over statement, cause it isn't in that range but just thousands range, but anyways hasn't GB Jr. made the same mistakes too, thus creating hatred between the Middle East and the West.

[The following paragraph were deleted due to it being off topic].

QUOTE (alchemist11 @ Dec 29 2006, 11:53 PM) Its all about Race, nothing more. Every single war in this world has been about that, even the WW in some way or form, not to mention the mass murder the US did to the Natives in NA.
Don't misunderstand that wars were all about racism of any sort, nor is it about the difference of races. War comes and goes according to conditions that one group of opposing people put against another. Other times, there are issues of whether or not what one group/country is doing (Korean Nuclear Weapons, for example).

Other than that, please, put aside the fact of supporting him as a person. What happened to the topic "Did he deserve to die or suffer another punishment"?

Lol, you say thousands as if the number means nothing to you. Ah well, I guess there's no use arguing with someone who hasn't experienced a tiny bit of pain. Good ol days of kindergarten...

Let's just put all this aside for a moment and observe your response for a moment. You said he did not deserve such punishment, then in response I must ask, what did he deserve then? Life imprisonment(s)?? On what base are you passing on such judgement?

what good will killing him do?

it doesnt solve the initial problem. he acted because he believed something. we may (most of the world does) disagree with him, but he felt the way he felt, believed what he believed, and he acted accordingly.

if we want to solve the root problem, it would be to face what he didnt like about the world, and to understand his reasoning to the fullest extent, and then bridge the gaps between his logical pattern, and our own. If we don't bother doing that, and just kill him, i personally feel that's a wasted opportunity in the fact that we lost the chance to explore his logic at a deeper level.

i equate execution to cutting a weed without addressing the root. hussein wasnt the source of the problem, he was just an interpreter of a still-existing "problem" that we still dont fully comprehend.

the world seems too preoccupied with vengence, that it doesnt see the price of that revenge. "Eye for an Eye will leave us all blind."

in my opinion, "death by hanging" and "democracy" are two concepts that just don't mix. and the rush to get rid of him made things look even worse -- there were numerous reports about irregularities in his trial, and now, even if those irregularities did indeed exist, what can they do about it? what will they do about it? nothing.

and personally, my opinion regarding Saddam is a little bit ambiguous at this point. He killed thousands of people directly, the US allowed thousands of people to be killed when they overthrew him. Can anyone honestly say that Iraq is better now than it was with Saddam?

i voted yes.. and thousands of times more for what he did..

"Saddam Hussein is a very, very bad man. But he's a Renaissance bad man - a genocidal maniac with a collection of anthrax and bubonic plague samples, a power-mongering invader who married his cousin, a writer of romance novels and Broadway-style musicals, a dinner companion to Donald Rumsfeld and a recurring character on South Park.

Then he was a rebel leader, just like Princess Leia, only less cute and less righteous. And possibly without the assistance of the Force.

he was the Prisoner in Cell Block H. Or rather, Cell Block X — the one you never come out of.. and now finally excecuted.."
-http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/dictators/saddam-hussein/

QUOTE (alchemist11 @ Dec 30 2006, 03:53 AM)QUOTE (noob @ Dec 30 2006, 12:37 AM) I didn't know slaughtering millions of people was nothing more than a mere mistake.
Now that's an over statement, cause it isn't in that range but just thousands range, but anyways hasn't GB Jr. made the same mistakes too, thus creating hatred between the Middle East and the West.

[The following paragraph were deleted due to it being off topic].

"just thousands"?.. i really don't understand your train of thought.. how much does your life cost? can i pay you enough to take it from you?.. will i ever be able to pay the price so that you are willing to accept the offer of someone shooting you?.. a total of 4000 Iraqis are summarily executed at Abu Ghraib on orders of Saddam Hussein.. 4000 were killed under the order of 1 man.. who did he think he was?.. however many people he gave order to slaughter.. multiply that amount by 7.. that is how many times he should face death himself..

what good will it do killing him?.. well.. first of all, to make sure he doesn't do what he did again.. second, it's proper punishment.. it's logical and morally correct.. punishment for ones actions.. put vengeance aside.. doesn't one need to at least pay for their own actions?.. believe what he wants to believe.. he has the free will to believe what he wants and so does everybody else.. but if his belief required him to take the lives of thousands, then it is definately not tolerated.. the authority will certainly go against that and interfere, and so will the rest of the world

Even if he killed a million people. Killing him is not the answer. Even the sickest people deserve to live, but confined for eternity. His death can be a positive or negative thing. This could help in ending the war in Irac or spur more commotion that can lead to more deaths to soldiers fighting there.

In my opinion, hanging him was just crossing the line. That was beyond capital punishment. As for what darkdog and squire said, I completely agree. How does killing him solve anything? First of all, he's already out of Iraq, so he no longer has any authority. Second, he probably still has some followers/supporters out there and by executing them, we're just provoking them into wanting to kill us or get some sort of revenge. It was plain unjust killing him despite what he has done in the past. True he slaughtered thousands/millions of people in the past, but aren't we doing the same thing now by invading the Middle East? What's the difference between the two? In the end we're killing people, whether its a massacre or gradually killing off people one by one.

I actuall wanted to see the hanging live but...yeah. Okay, I think it was a good thing. As long as he lived, his lawyers,etc were in danger of death so now that hes out of the way, everyones pretty much safe. Besides, he gave up the battle himself, and went on a hunger strike for what? I don't really know either. But as time goes on and Iraqs government becomes more stable,and Iraq a safer place, I'd like to say Viva La Iraq!
laugh.gif

QUOTE actuall wanted to see the hanging live but...yeah
Im shure a video will endup on youtube or somthing.

what if it is all a conspiracy and they just hung a lookalike. im hoping thats not the case but you never know, weirder things have happened.
huh.gif

Did Saddam Hussein deserve to be executed? Sure. He was directly responsible for thousands of deaths.

That said, I must agree with those who contend that democracy will never work in the Middle East. The people do not have the background for it. There are too many tribal influences at work. Tribal status and custom are often more important even than whether or not one is Shia or Sunna, and the combination of tribal conflicts and religious conflicts makes the region a powder keg.

Saddam Hussein did what he thought he needed to do to keep the people in line. Historically speaking, giving the people in the region more freedom has always led to more bloodshed and anarchy. So Saddam kept a tight reign. Step out of line, and you get slapped. Plot his overthrow and you get killed in a bloody fashion so you become an example to those around you.

Yes, Saddam was a bad man. He lived an opulent lifestyle. But despite the US pressure, Iraq was making strides toward modernity. His people could be educated. There was freedom of religion, so long as you didn't take your religion to excess. And the blood feuds among tribes were pretty well squelched.

Come to think of it, there has been more Iraqi on Iraqi violence and bloodshed since Saddam than in all of Saddam's reign. Why last month claimed how many lives? Over 3000? So in three month's time, the Iraqi people have killed more of their own than Saddam did en total?

Maybe, just maybe, Saddam wasn't so bad after all. Maybe he deserved to die, but then, maybe the lives he saved before are the ones being taken now.

In any case, his death -- even though deserved -- won't solve anything. It is one other gesture of vengeance from a society that is self-destructing.

Regards,

QUOTE (雪Yuki @ Dec 30 2006, 05:18 PM) what if it is all a conspiracy and they just hung a lookalike. im hoping thats not the case but you never know, weirder things have happened.
huh.gif

If they did fake his hanging, they sure do have a good alleby (torture him and use him) But that's highly unlikely.

I said yes, because getting rid of such an evil person like him will prevent the death of many human beings in the future. It may be wrong to take a life, but in this case he needed to be brought to an end. How many had to suffer, die and be belittled because of 1 human being. I believe 1 evil persons life is worth the thousands down the line. Either way he had to repent for the hundreds of thousands of lives he's already taken.

QUOTE second, it's proper punishment.. it's logical and morally correct..
when is killing someone* morally correct??? never.

also.. the argument that "it prevents the death of many human beings in the future", is terrible too. preemptive judgement? "you're gonna be a thief when you grow up, so let me put you in jail just in case".. come on.

Did he deserve to be punished? Sure. Did he commit terrible things? Of course. Was he a danger to society? I don't believe that at all. Did we have the right to kill him? No. Did killing him solve anything? I honestly don't think so. So it was a bloodshed just for the sake of shedding blood, it was far more symbolic than effective.

3000 US troops have died. Who ordered them to go to Iraq? Who's going to be held responsible for their deaths? Is it moral for us to kill the person who ordered such war?

* 2 exceptions that i can think of right now:
1- if it's that person's will (i'm thinking of euthanasia as i mention this)
2- if that person't an immediate threat to your life (i'm imagine a thief pointing you a weapon)

To me life imprisonment and execution are the same thing, if there was a place in the world where you could be exiled than that would be morally preferrable to execution, but as it stands, to stop chaos we must punish people in an effective matter such that others may not follow their example to the highest extent possible. There is no good or evil involved in this process, it is a matter of necessity, and should be checked only by sensibility.

As far as death dealing in general goes, the cause justifys the means only when the cause is more terrible than the means. This is because evil caused by inaction and evil caused by action is still evil.

as far as rushing the trial goes, it didn't happen, how long has it been since he was captured?, and what else do you think COULD have happed? The current Iraqi government is made up of the type of people who will go for vengeance due to cultural concerns, and it was them, not america that killed him.

On the other hand, even if it was a bad idea, and america had executed him personally, it doesn't mean that america is more bad than good. We killed Tojo after WWII and he (contrary to popular belief) did very little, as part of a large movement in the Japanese military, despite this the Occupation of Japan was the most successful war relief/restructuring effort in human history.

The real questions are:

Was Saddam Hussein a criminal that needed to be punished as well as displaced in the name of Iraqi reform?

Should Iraq be reformed?

What punishments are worth what social benefits from what crimes avoided?

Is the greater good more important than a clear conscience?

I would say yes, although I'm not very optimistic about the whole thing.

(and I would like to clarify that I do not sympathize with martyr complex evildoers, because of personal considerations. If you do too much evil it will ruin your life, and you will become biased and more likely to commit unnecessary evil, damaging the society you wish to protect, and ruining your own soul. The most effective way to avoid evil is using good.)

I would point at people being too stupid and numerous as the cause of all problems

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back