DC vs Marvel

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

franzoir

-the smooth, the suave, and the shrewd
Sempai
Alright i know there must be a few comic nuts out there besides manga. Basically i just watched Death of Superman DTV. Even though i think Superman is a retarded Superhero it was a really awesome feature. I found this miles more entertaining then the lastest live action Superman film and even Ironman.

So anyway it got me wondering, now that the superhero genre has been kinda done and its starting to get a bit genericy, i started to think which was the better paradigm of superheroes.

So in this thread, you can discuss which paradigm you like better and give reasons. Who is your favourite superhero as well as discuss the lastest incarnation of the heroes on the silver screen.

Ill go first.

Although i think Superman is the most ridiculous Superhero of all time I prefer the DC paradigm over the Marvel Paradigm. This is because i like DC ethos of superheroes being larger then life. Also Marvel have this tendency of using too much pseudo science in there comics/films which greatly annoys me. The way DC superheroes take down supervillains makes sense and you believe it could work.

Ironically my favourite superheroes is the Silver Surfer, cause i can identify with him quite alot. Doesnt quite belong, mysterious, loner. Sounds like me.

As for film, well we all know the Dark Knight kinda destroyed all competition last year.

Anyway thats a brief summary. Your turn.

Flash, hands down. He is so underrated as a superhero. Also, I like Captain America, Hes my main man when it comes to video games. Dark knight destroyed no competition, Joker did. I don't like one more than the other(referring DC or Marvel)

I once read that there's a spectrum of comics in the west that go from faily easy going and fun to really quite dark and nasty and it went in the following order (most lighthearted to darkest):
Marvel-DC-Dark Horse/Image-(the more obscure comics).
DC tends to be a lot darker because it's orginally based on detective stories as opposed to superheroes hence the name DC (Detective Comics). Batman was just a detective with fancy gadgets in a costume orginally. I'd have to say that I agree to a certain extent that DC gives some better stories but I gave up on them when they did the Zero Hour series where they changed the timelines of various superheroes and they've brought back Superman (from the dead) that many times it's got a bit ridiculous. So generally I tended to go for Dark Horse and Image who use more supernatural themes but the style is much darker, especially the Curse of Spawn series which gets pretty gruesome.
(It has the last Christian religious leader going mad and becoming psychotic in a post-apocalypse world where the spawns of hell pretty much pawn anything the humans can throw at them purely becaus they're more brutal killers and more efficient). Also the Spawn comics made angels look hot again and heroes arent always perfectly buffed (one of the most interesting characters is a small skinny cop who wears glasses and has a large mustache and is married to a woman who wouldn;t look out of place in certain mens magazines lol).

Marvel. I like that it's set in the real world and I like that until the last decade or so there was a contiguous timeline. On the downside, there are too many heroes and villians which waters things down way too much. As for tone, it's all down to what writers get their hands on the material at the time. It can vary from dark as hell to completly candy-assed and stupid. They also tackled some serious issues and you could say that the X-Men is one of the best and longest running commentiaries on discrimation.

Coloring my choice is the fact that Spider-Man is my all time favorite hero. I read my fist Spider-Man when I was 4-years old and never stopped loving him. So much so that I was nearly in tears with joy watching Spidey swing through New York!

DC always annoyed me with constantly re-inventing their heroes and having poor editorial standards that mean that you never knew if anything that you read before meant anything in the current issue. They had fewer heroes that stuck, but not for lack of trying, and they invented some of the gayest heroes and villains ever. Once again, it's the quality of the writers that reall made the difference though, so there are certaing gems that stand out like Frank Miller's take on Batman and John Byrne's run on Superman that were great reads. They also did a great job of miniseries like the Watchman, and mad a great attempt at making more mature content with their Vertigo line.

Batman is their only real enduring and compelling character IMO. Superman is too powerful and lacks the internal conflicts to be very intersting.

Dum-dum Dugan! Sargeant Fury? Sargeant Nick Fury and the Howling Commando's! What about "The Loser's"? Did the General Lee make it all the way through the war?

God new my anger when comics went to 15 cents a copy! Nuts, I think I just gave away how old I am. I remember when Jean Grey of the X-men committed suicide to save our world! X-Men #69 I have the original!! How many know she was called wonder girl Originally?

And when did Spidey fall in love with Gwen? But did she really have to die??

Both DC and Marvel have thier good points, but Stan Lee made Marvel what it is. His art and stories will always save us from the bad guys. And I don't care how young you are...

i used to be a comic collector (spawn mainly). i used to like image alot before. i like there theme and art.

i really love the darkness (comic), his powers are so cool and kinda unique. he was my fav hero second to batman. then i also collected the comic the tenth, that one was cool too, it has some anime effects to it.

anyways,

i havent read much dc comics though (but i love the justice league cartoon - that one rules), so ill go with the marvel comics here. last time i was hook, it was the comic ultimate spiderman. that one feels like its a manga comic - im not joking. it was good. this is the only comic that got me excited since age of apocalypse (i love magneto there!!!).

i only like batman comics if it is drawn but jim lee. lol. i love that guys art. oh also that comic, batman vs. predator - the art there by kubert??? was really good. and the story wasnt bad either.

I remember the Batman vs Predator comics, yeah the artwork was pretty good and the story actually involved the characters having to think about stuff.
The graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns was interesting to read, the artwork wasnt impressive but the story had some unusual twists such as Superman coming pretty close to dieing during a fight with Batman and the ultimate batmobile (think of the the APC from Aliens and you;re more or less there). One of the funniest things I've ever seen in a DC comic by the way has to be when Batman and the Joker are forced to team up and Batman opens a door and a bucket of acid just misses falling on him and the Joker says "Sorry, force of habit"
tongue.gif

One film that im excited to see this year is the "Watchmen" Never read the original comics but i heard it was really special and unique. I think it belongs to the DC paradigm. Judging by the brief synopsis, it sounds like my kind of thing.

Hopefully it will provide like a different perspective on the superhero film genre, cause i wasnt really too impressed with Ironman.

Im not sure if it will beat films like Spiderman 2 or the Dark knight though.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Feb 23 2009, 08:04 AM) One film that im excited to see this year is the "Watchmen"
Ahh Watchmen, truly a beautiful masterful, probably one of the best graphic novels of all time (in its time). Its funny how almost no one ever heard of it up until its movie debut
tongue.gif

Watchmen indeed does belong to DC, whether or not it'll be good is another story. The problem is, I wont spoil anything here, but Watchmen is a little too late in terms of its release as a film. The license to make the film was aquired way back in 1986 but due to a lack of money, terrible scripts/screen writes the film got scrapped. They felt Watchmen was too difficult to translate into a film and could not be done. This was true up until David Hayter got the job to write his own adaption which was one of the best ones ever. Thus the film got its life back and here it is.

But theres a problem with the movie, like I said, Watchmen came a little too late. Many of its story mechanics and plot has in a sense been done already. People who have seen this film wont think of it as being so unique or mesmorizing since many of its ideas dont apply in todays times. Also the story takes place back during the Cold War and discusses the events behind it. Sadly all the speculation in the film is diminished since we know now what happens in the future and we all know that this certain thing never happens, ect.

Had the movie been released lets say back in the early 90's, or late 80's, it would have been masterful and would have had a bigger wow factor.

The reviews for the film so far were mixed giving it an average score, apparenrly it wasnt as great masterful film like the Dark Knight but it wasnt half bad either, just keep in mind, this is a very hard story to translate into a 2.5 hr film.

Anyways I've trolled too long about this film lols

DC and Marvel are both equally great, DC tends to be more mesmorizing and realistic, Marvel seems more out of the ordinary and imaginative. All in all theyre both great;)

During my time of collecting comics I had gone both ways. Sometime Marvel was better, sometimes DC. Now I no longer collect them because they stories got way to convoluted and dark and just to screwed up for my taste.

I choose Marvel because I grew up reading more of their comics than DC. My favorite character HAS to be Spider-Man in Marvel and the Flash (Wally West) from DC.

Spider-man is 1 of the few that isn't overpowered and Peter Parker has such a great background story and personality.

The Flash has definitely one of the most koolest super power in the DC world. Plus Infinite Mass Punch is pure pwnage.

Until i searched never knew a Comic thread even existed.

For me im a Marvel guy. Mainly due to Spidey since i got into comics via the 90s comic cartoon: Spider-man, Fanatastic Four, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Batman etc and it was the 90s Spidey that i enjoyed the most with Batman and X-Men 90s cartoons both in a close 2nd.

But as of late im reading more Ultimate Universe side of marvel since i think the 616 universe has gone to pot, im anti BND, I wasnt much for House of M, and more than anythign im annoyed that the Marvel Events from Civil War through to Seige have imo amassed to nothing as far as the Status Quo goes. The only thing in 616 that has any apeal to me right now is Daredevil and Moon Knight. But i will admit im enjoying Grim Hunt, but my god am i not looking forward to OMIT, OMD was a bad story period, and i dont need a retread of it with OMIT especialy since OMD was one of the worst stories ive ever read.

I just dont find DC all that appealing with the exception of Static and maybe the original Batman storys.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back