Legal Or illegal

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest - Plavi

Hey guy's (and girls)
tongue.gif

I'm A big Fan of Anime/Manga.. but im not sure! if it legal or illegal to Download Fansub.

The way I think it is: It is legal, to download fansub, because it haven't been distrubiated i my contry/ or in English! ? but when it come to my contry / or in english. I schould delet the files i haved downloadet(the files with Japanes talk, and english subtitles) ?

What are the rouls about this?
happy.gif

Bedst regarts BiH Plavi

Yes, it is legal to download unlicensed anime. But, if the anime is licensed, if you wish not to commit crime, stop downloading that show
wink.gif

Thx. but how do i know if a manga serie is Licensed or not?
ph34r.gif

all the links on this site! is it to un-licensed manga!? or is there some series witch had beed Licensed but still is on fansub.tv?

its because i don't wanna comit a crime! u know!
tongue.gif

Technicly speaking, it is not legal to download any anime, even "unlicensed" (as in not distributed).

Unless you own a license (as in, a right to own a coy of it) for the anime you cannot own a copy of it. The fact that the anime (or any product) is not available in your region does not change anything to the copyright laws.

In the case of anime, its simply that the anime industry tolerates Fansubbing as long as the anime is not available on DVD outside of Japan, because most of the companies know its good for them because it allows them to be know in other contries. Plus, there is also and extremely high price to pay to prevent piracy and its not necessarily worth it.

so to get it right!
the people making the manga/anime! like the fackt, that i'm watching this serie.
bacause i'll tell my friends about it! and when it come on DVD outside Japan! my friend will maby buy it? and in that way they are acktually making money.

And! the fackt is! that its not legal!

BUT! the Anime Directors don't mind?

cool.gif
sound funny/wierd

QUOTE (Plavi @ Dec 7 2005, 08:53 AM)
cool.gif
sound funny/wierd
Dont forget that laws are there to protect the interest of people. In this case, anime producers. But the law is not absolute. It needs to be interpreted (that why we have judges)

Plus, even if the artists have the RIGHT to protect their work, it does not mean they have the desired to.

For example, its illegal to trespass on private property. But if you dont mind if people who dont break anything pass on your land, its your choice. Its not an automatic process that as soon as someone put his little toe on the land he is charged with tresspassing.

Arh! now i get it! i gues!
wink.gif

Its illegal --> but only if the producers charged me, I will be busted!!

And the chance for that happend! is small?

unsure.gif

As I said, economicly speaking, costs are prohibitives. Just imagine, you would need at few people at full time simply browsing the web, looking at IRC channels, etc to find sites that are distributing anime.

Next, you call your lawer (get that checkbook ready!). Find out who is hosting the site, ask to know from the hosting company to whom the sites belongs. Then you send him a state of attorney and engage in persuits.

Now you have only closed down the server. If you would want to get at the downloaders, you need to get the acces logs from the hosting company. Get the list of ips accessing the site.
Find out to whom those IP belongs, get the company owning the ips to send you their logs to know which of their customers as using that specific IP. For that, you need a judges order in most contry. Once you know who that person was, you engage persuits. But in the first place, you will need to prove that ther person was actually downloading from the site and not simply browsing the site (there is no such thing as an illigal site in the sense that you cannot look at it)

In all of that process, dont forget that you will most likely have to engage judicial procedures in multiple contries (add a few zeros to that check!)

Plus, in the end, the individuals managing the website and the people downloading dont have big money.
So what will the anime producer gain?? It will cost him lots of money, with no way to get it back. Plus, in a few weeks/month, there will be someone else opening a new site. Its an endless loop that will lead the producer to bankrupcy. Plus they all know that they will be seen as agressive and as a "bad" company by the public and the fans.

This is why you never heard of such a thing.

The closest I've seen were the recent actions by Media Factory, inc. They sent cease and desist letters to various fansub groups and distribution sites, and caused a great number of groups to stop distributing several good shows. If you run a search, I'm sure you can find more information about it.

Of course, there are always the bastard American companies that license the anime, horribly dub it, and expect fansub groups to stop distributing the original content, such as the recent fiasco with Shinsen-Subs. This pisses me off more than anything, and it would be far easier for everyone to just ask nicely and deliver good content. If that were the case, there would be no need for the subbing groups to continue, and everyone would happily buy their content.

However, those are usually just the American companies, who have gross amounts of money (and legislation) behind them. For the most part, Japanese companies understand that it will happen, and publicly discourage it, but seem to know that we only do it because we love their work. It's a massive difference in philosophy.

~ SP

sorry tosay this , but it`s the damn americans again eh =( , those bastard companies only think about money , not about product quality!

Not necessaryly American companies. When a companies gets too big and there is no clear policy thats what you end up with.

Beside, with big international companies like WalMart, HP, MerkFrost etc, can you really say they are americans? Their production is spread all over the world. Same for their stock holders. I dont think these big companies have a nationnality. And thats part of the problem.

QUOTE (Bold @ Dec 8 2005, 06:03 PM) Beside, with big international companies like WalMart, HP, MerkFrost etc, can you really say they are americans? Their production is spread all over the world. Same for their stock holders. I dont think these big companies have a nationnality. And thats part of the problem.
Hm, but they have roots, which is what most people would remember, I'm sure.

QUOTE Not necessaryly American companies. When a companies gets too big and there is no clear policy thats what you end up with.
Money has no nacionality

But well, i will keep downloading anime still its licensed in my language... unfortunately thats not going to happen soon

QUOTE (wceend @ Dec 8 2005, 02:30 PM) sorry tosay this , but it`s the damn americans again eh =( , those bastard companies only think about money , not about product quality!
those are...
adv
4kids
viz
they just want a bunch of money putting 3-5 eps of anime per dvd!!
when u can prob fit 6 or 7!!

lol reviving a dead thread
laugh.gif

woo Australians ftw!

i'd also like to add that atm there are no laws taht can have you charged for downloading anime IF you download through bit-torrents.

and because the majority of anime is downloaded on bit-torrent, they cannot take legal action.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this was made apparant when MGM studios sued a torrent site and those downloading its content and failed miserably

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jar @ Feb 4 2006, 09:33 AM)this was made apparant when MGM studios sued a torrent site and those downloading its content and failed miserably That is not completely accurate. The case you are refering to was against a torrent site on their RESPONSABILITY of people who used their site to share illigal content.

MGM lost the case, because the judge said torrent is a download protocol. A technology should not be banned simply because it could be used for illegal purpose.

But it does not mean the person willingly downloading illegal content cannot be fined or prosecuted because he is using BitTorrent.

It similar to the case on VHS videocasette a few years ago. VHS could be used to make copies, but it also has a lot of legitimate uses.

so are fansub legal or not? if it isnt and iam on the australian madman site they said it aint legal lol

Its not illegal as long as they are not licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back