Automated feedback system

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
In another forum I use if a post fails (due to breaking rules) a message is automatically sent to the offending user describing their offence.

i.e your post was deleted because it was considered spam
i.e your post was deleted as it was considered offensive to other users
i.e your post was deleted as contain links to illegal content etc

The way this proposed system would work is when a moderator deletes a post they are given a number of options saying why they deleted it. By ticking the relevant box an automated message is then sent (via pm) to the offending user. The automated post would look something like this:

The follow post has been removed:
(Quote whole post)

Due to reason x

Not sure if this automated message should contain the name of the mod who deleted it. In some ways it would be helpful as it gives the user the chance to challenge the decision. Then again it might impose on the mods privacy. So this area might need to be discussed.

The reason I think this system is good is it adds a bit of transparency between the mods and the normal users. More transparency means less arguments and a more pleasant atmosphere for all of us. What do you think?

How difficult would it be to implement such a system?

EDIT - The automated system could also keep track of how many posts it has sent to a particular user. So repeated offenders can be spotted more easily.

Your proposal is a good one, monsta. It would be common courtesy, on the part of those who delete a member's post, for whatever the reason, to let said member know. Your proposal would be a good way of knowing, in case the member was not told, nor forewarned, by said Moderator. It seems, also, a good way of tracking and keeping one's self in check, i.e. spamming. Now, I doubt that it will be accepted though....as some would consider/believe, their actions are called into question, when in fact, that is not the intention of said proposal. BTW, whatever happened to warning folks? Lots of inconsistencies do exist, whenever this topic is broached. An example: I got a post deleted just last night, and nary a word was said as to why.
rolleyes.gif
If your proposal came to a vote among the FTV members, who are not part of the FTV team, you can count my vote as a "yea." Let's hope that more will read this and consider it a possibility.
wink.gif

Well, in theory I like this idea all though I don't know how easy it would be to implement. But it would increase communication between the mods and posters, which I think is needed. And if it's automated, the mods just have to click through and not remember to sign the post/send a PM (which, we can be distracted from and forget).

QUOTE The automated system could also keep track of how many posts it has sent to a particular user. So repeated offenders can be spotted more easily.
I'm less keen on this is it's publicly tracked. I know some forums place your "strikes" under the avatar and I find it a bad system. I'm less inclined to participate on forums like that.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Jun 25 2008, 11:51 AM) I'm less keen on this is it's publicly tracked. I know some forums place your "strikes" under the avatar and I find it a bad system. I'm less inclined to participate on forums like that.
The thing about using this system though is that it can be made publicly or stored on a list that only mods/staff members can access.

It's a good idea when you look at it, but the fallback on using a system like this is the issue of the user. If we want to keep like a spam count of a certain user, we'd have to tick a "strike" on their IP on a list, not their user-name (considering if the user is advertising or spamming on his/her first post). Even then, the system would require a moderator's input on what the spam was, thus it would only be keeping tabs on the users when we already have been doing so (plus the fact that many users tend to ignore our warnings, as experienced before).

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Jun 25 2008, 08:51 PM)I'm less keen on this is it's publicly tracked. I know some forums place your "strikes" under the avatar and I find it a bad system. I'm less inclined to participate on forums like that.
I agree with you. Publicly displaying the number of strikes would probably be counter productive. I was thinking the only people who had access to this information would be the mods. The IP system that hamasusuke suggests sounds like a feasible way of doing this. Just to make myself clear I want this strike system to act as tool for moderators to spot repeated offenders not as a way of judging users.

Wouldn't know how would the IP address suggestion would be useful at all. . . Well it wouldn't hurt to have it if that is something that everyone would want. Please discuss that further in the wishlist thread or make another thread for it.

QUOTE (noob @ Jun 26 2008, 02:44 AM)Wouldn't know how would the IP address suggestion would be useful at all. . . Well it wouldn't hurt to have it if that is something that everyone would want. Please discuss that further in the wishlist thread or make another thread for it.
To be perfectly honest I'm not to sure about the IP thing either. The whole tracking system was created as an after thought. What I'm more concerned with is the automated message system. I think it would be useful if users received feedback from failed posts.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back